Sunday, July 21, 2013

Slavery Or Freedom

"Separate me from this world Lord. Sanctify my life for you. Daily change me to your image. Help me bear good fruit." Keith Green (1953-1982), Rushing Wind


"If you came to the house Negro and said, “Let’s run away, let’s escape, let’s separate,” the house Negro would look at you and say, “Man, you crazy. What you mean, separate? Where is there a better house than this? Where can I wear better clothes than this? Where can I eat better food than this?” That was that house Negro." Malcolm X (1925-1965), The House Negro and The Field Negro


"They set out from Elim, and all the congregation of the people of Israel came to the wilderness of Sin, which is between Elim and Sinai, on the fifteenth day of the second month after they had departed from the land of Egypt. And the whole congregation of the people of Israel grumbled against Moses and Aaron in the wilderness, and the people of Israel said to them, “Would that we had died by the hand of the Lord in the land of Egypt,when we sat by the meat pots and ate bread to the full, for you have brought us out into this wilderness to kill this whole assembly with hunger." Exodus 16:1-3



Too many times in my life I have become complacent in my Christian walk. My prayers, and devotions become repetitious. I am not heart broken anymore. I am not crying out to God. No more tears fall for others, and they certainly don't drop for the amazing fact that Jesus Christ has saved me- a backslider. This is where it always starts, and it creeps up on me slowly... like a snake. Satan is good at that, because he knows that if he jumps out at me I would go running to God immediately shouting. "There's a snake Lord! Please Help me!!!" Nope. Satan is good at this, and he's been at it for a millenia.


So I get lulled in to a false sense of security, and I'm not sharp anymore. I'm sliding backwards every day. I walk in to the Sanctuary at church without even taking a second look. I don't pause anymore at the doorway to thank God for allowing me in to His presence, and I perform, "church" like veteran actor in a Broadway play. Life is good now, because I am blessed, and I start to take everything for granted. I'm not alert and ready for the ambush.


And that's when the trials come. The time of testing in the wilderness. See, at first I was happy to be free from my sin, be free from the the bondage of the world. I was like an animal back then, and a slave. When I had back slidden I was poisoned with alcohol, drugs and cigarettes. I spoke every foul curse word known to man, and even made up some new words for my own personal amusement. I had my body tattooed- the world branded me when I was sold in to slavery, and I actually loved it! Yes, I acted like the world, thought like the world dressed like the world, and looked like the world & everyone who belonged to it.


In the beginning, God granted me a great paying job, and I threw that away by turning away from Him. I wound up spending my money on everything else but God's kingdom. I was secure in ME, because Satan gave me a better paying job, and then I had everything I wanted at anytime I wanted it with no restrictions. But I was sad in my heart, because God was not there. He couldn't be there, because I was in sin. I had money with a false sense of security, but I was so empty inside that I tried to commit suicide, because nothing mattered if God wasn't in it. THEN JESUS CHRIST SHOWED UP. That's how a sinner is reached, because Jesus became sin He could meet me exactly where I was at. Did you know that Jesus once left you in capable hands (Christian friends, family, your pastor) that night to find me?


Jesus said, "What do you think? If a man has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go in search of the one that went astray? And if he finds it, truly, I say to you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine that never went astray. So it is not the will of my Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish." Matthew 18:12-14


Jesus found me, unfortunately I am now slipping back to mediocrity. I am complaining that things aren't going my way, and even worse... I am actually missing doing life MY way, instead of God's way. I want my good paying job back. I want the security of knowing I can slave away for 14 hours a day just so that I can see that paycheck hit my bank account when t's supposed to. Health care granted me by the employer, and the opportunity to accrue 1.3 days per month for vacation every year. I want the money, because it's something I feel that I have earned with the sweat of my brow, rather than letting go & letting God take control. I want to send my money on Satan's establishments, instead of networking with God's people, and furthering His kingdom.


Separate from my captor... why in the world would I ever want to do that??? I want slavery, the whip of the slave master across my back, and the chance to be told that I'n a good worker by him instead of God. Yes, I want Egypt.


Lord God, please forgive me for taking your manna and quail for granted. Forgive me for looking backwards like Lot's wife, instead of moving forward. Forgive me for desiring what the world has to offer, and for wanting the slavery of Egypt; instead of freedom in your kingdom. Jesus, please call me out from this place, and in to the venue you have made for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment